Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Wilbur Mine update

I've been asked to give a presentation on my Wilbur mine research at the Almonte Lecture Series in early 2014. Nothing like a deadline to motivate work!

I'm actually really excited about this, because I've started back on my research and have reconnected with the families who own the property on which the mine sites are located. In an incredible set of coincidences, I rode out on the Canada Day long weekend to see who would be there, and met two people I know in Ottawa--a client of mine, and someone I've worked with online on advising a friend's business venture. I had no idea that either person was connected to the mine site! this is fantastic news because it means much easier access to information, the site, and artifacts to assist with my research.

Also, I've just learned through a friend that a professor of archeology he knows has offered to help me map the site.

On a related note, I've shared some of my material with Sali Tagliamonte, the U of T professor who's researching dialects of Lanark County. Her work is fascinating and you can hear an interview with her on CBC radio if you search their archives.

So lots of work yet to do, but important work because it will consolidate various bits and pieces of our local history for everyone to learn from and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment